vrijdag 13 juli 2012

Swift





great photo via iberianature

This is my favourite bird! 

Wednesday I mentioned the common swifts (Apus apus). 
In our previous neighbourhood lived a big colony of swifts.
We had 7 pairs coming back, to their nests on our house, to breed each year!

These birds arrive late april after a long journey from Africa and they leave early August.
Three times I helped an adult bird after they had fallen to the ground.
 I just carefully picked up the bird, feeling it's very sharp claws,
(after making sure the bird wasn't wounded) I walked
to a wide open space with maximum wind.
Then just holding my hand up high so the bird could use the wind to fly away.
It instantly took off :-)
It worked and it was a great feeling being able to help such an incredible bird.
Normally these birds never touch the ground.
Their claws are fit to hang on to a cliff or wall but it's a badly design to walk around.
Two times we found a youngster who had fallen out of the nest.
So we took them to the bird shelter. It's not a bird you can easily take care of.
They have a special diet and need to be kept warm.

I must warn you, these birds really changed my life.......
I often hear them on the background of a film and I recognise them
even when I'm walking in a very crowded shopping street.
The sounds they make, just lift my spirits!

In the village where we live now there is just a small group of swifts.
We have a special nestbox on our house and we're planning to make several extra nestboxes.
We use a soundbox to lure the passing swifts.
We have had some interest but no habitants yet :-(

You can find more information at wikipedia and BBC.
Video's here and here.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. I'm surprised you use a soundbox and not just the Kenderman. He can effortlessly mimic any sound you throw at him can't he? :D

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. The kenderman is specialized in Dolphin and Jackdaw sounds. And he hates sitting in the (roof) gutter all day long ;-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen